Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Risks with Obesity & Pregnancy

     
      So I was going to go to the gym after work today, but decided not to as I felt “too tired”. Yes, I know…another excuse. Anyway, I became really disappointed in myself, and may end up going after dinner later tonight because I feel so guilty, but we’ll see. I have noticed a trend this week as far as my diet is concerned…I eat really well at work, then come home and do terrible by snacking or even binging. When I am with kids all morning and afternoon, I eat healthier and snack healthier because they eat healthy food and need it for their growing bodies; our snacks are fruits or veggies, and I only drink water there. This week I've been bringing a salad for lunch which has been delicious and nutritious, but then I get home and instantly want sweets! Then, because I've “deprived” myself from snacks all morning, I overeat to make up for it. It just doesn't make sense! I’m getting real tired of this vicious cycle. I know I need to focus and eat better and start controlling my cravings, but something else inside me, perhaps the devil, is telling me that it’s okay; that if I really want it, I can eat it and then do better later or tomorrow. This whole weight loss challenge is mentally draining!
      Anyway, after thinking about how unhealthy I am, I decided to do a little research on obesity and pregnancy. Everything I've read, I've heard before. My excuse previously was simply this…”Yeah, I’m obese, but I’m not an unhealthy obese woman.” What? That doesn't even make sense! Anyone who is obese IS unhealthy! There is a huge correlation! I've been denying for years that I really do have a problem. I need to be better; I need to do better; I need to accept that I AM unhealthy and that MANY things need to be changed!!! Prayers are welcome and appreciated!

My research-
  • Obese women are more likely to be vitamin deficient. Because we tend to choose more processed foods higher in calories, but lacking nutrients, we don’t necessarily get all the vitamins we need, especially when we’re pregnant. Examples: Folic Acid, Calcium, and Iron- all of these are very important during pregnancy. Folic acid is important even before conception because it lowers risks of cardiac problems and spinal defects in newborns.
  • Breastfeeding rates are low for obese women! It tends to take longer for breast milk to come in and they can have lower milk production.
  • Excessive weight gain during pregnancy is very scary for obese women as it leads to high risk complications. Examples: preterm birth, cesarean delivery, large-for-gestational-age infants, and infants with low blood sugar.
  •  [Obviously] obese women have higher rates of infertility, miscarriage, and stillbirth. Other risks are high blood pressure, preeclampsia, and gestational diabetes.

Some suggestions-
  • LOSE WEIGHT! (Duh, like I didn't already know this!) Eat healthy and exercise.
  • It’s important to have a preconception checkup. And then, once pregnant, to get early and regular prenatal care.
  • It is recommended that obese women gain 11-20 pounds during pregnancy. Also, dieting during pregnancy is not safe as some weight loss programs and plans reduce nutrients you and your baby need.


      So reading and researching all that made me feel scared! I've honestly always thought that if I were to get pregnant, that even though I’m obese, nothing would go wrong. I've almost turned a blind eye to the risks associated with obesity and pregnancy. I've known all of these risks and am still trying to get pregnant; is something wrong with me? Shouldn't I be doing EVERYTHING in my power to change this before I get pregnant and potentially harm my unborn baby!? I think I’ll have to discuss all this again with my husband and make a decision on if we should continue trying to conceive. I’ll also ask this new doctor at my appointment on the 12th, what his opinion is. My other doctor always suggested weight loss, and talked about these risks, but never made it seem like I’d actually have a problem. She didn't encourage me to keep trying, but she also didn't try to persuade me take a break from TTC while trying to lose weight. Hmm…not sure what to do at this point! 

No comments:

Post a Comment